I figure as most of us are probably Facebook users, I might go ahead and use a Facebook method of telling y’all a bit more about myself — Note Surveys! There’s no need for you to copy, paste, and repost, but if you’d like, there’s a comment box underneath this post.
25 Things About Me:
1. First and foremost, I am a Christian. I am saved by faith and grace ALONE. I wish I could say that I was always as close to God as I am today, but since my junior year of high school, God has been working in my heart and teaching me in amazing ways. Sometimes it can feel like He’s not there, but I’m learning that it’s because He’s always behind me, where I can’t always see Him, waiting to catch me when I fall (which, let’s face it, I do on a regular basis). And there aren’t words to describe how amazing that feels.
2. If I had to pick one person, dead or alive, to spend one day with, it would be my Grandpa Daugherty. I have a lot to tell him.
3. I’ve had a guitar for more than three years now, and still don’t know how to play it. I don’t even know how to tune it. I’m working on it, though.
4. I want to learn Italian and Hebrew.
5. I love to hang out with kids. They’re so much more fun than adults, sometimes. And find me one grown-up who can hold a twenty-minute conversation about butter. Seriously.
6. My dad has taught me almost everything I know about working hard.
7. My mom has always been my cheerleader. Whether I felt like she did or not, she was always there for me and taught me that being tired or sick weren’t good enough reasons to drop your responsibilities onto someone else.
8. My brother is a goober.
9. Uber-feminists drive me crazy and are probably near the top of my list of pet peeves. Those who blow their top when, for example, guys open doors for them, are ruining it for those of us who see it as a polite and respectful gesture. And then they go and complain that chivalry is dead. That really has to stop. When they open the door, it does not mean they think that you, as a woman, can not physically open the door for yourself. They just feel that you shouldn’t have to. The correct response to a guy doing this is not freaking out. The correct response is to say “thank you” and walk through the door.
10. I am a compulsive blanket-buyer/collector. Not bedspreads or quilts, but throw blankets. I rarely use them, but I have at least six of them in my room. My favorites – a blue fuzzy one I bought for $3.50 from Walmart and a white one with blue snowflakes on it that I got for $15 (and 40% off) at a Macy’s after Christmas sale in Chicago.
11. I hate shopping, don’t wear make-up, don’t like talking on the phone, and can’t manage to find most of the “heartthrobs” of my generation attractive in any way. No, I’m not a lesbian.
12. When I was a kid, I used to pretend I had braces by putting paperclips along my teeth. Not exactly something I’m proud of, but still. I’m running out of things to put here.
13. I love working with different ministries in at my church. I work with the kids on Wednesdays during the school year, Sunday mornings, and I work with the RU ministry on Friday nights.
14. My favorite flowers are a four-way tie between roses, orchids, sunflowers, and water lilies.
15. My favorite movie is Amazing Grace, about a British Parliament member, William Wilberforce, who spearheaded the movement to end the slave trade in the British Empire. I could watch it once a day and not get tired of it. A very close second is Facing the Giants. I normally can’t sit through sports movies, but I love that one.
16. I am the Dateless Wonder. I have never had a boyfriend and I’m trying to be OK with that. But God’s teaching me that He’s all I need and if that it isn’t His will for me to be part of a couple right now, then I really don’t want it, either.
17. I’ve been writing since I was in the fifth grade and I’ve started writing seven novels since. I haven’t finished a single one. My grandfather was probably my greatest inspiration to tell stories and since he died nearly ten years ago, it’s almost been a mission for me to take up where he left off. I don’t think I’ll ever be as good as he was, though.
18. I am probably happiest when I’m taking pictures.
19. I love old movies. But not westerns, except for a few John Wayne movies.
20. I LOVE Christmas music. It’s not unusual to hear me playing/singing it in the middle of summer.
21. I love to cook. I’m working on a bunch of my own recipes. Some have turned out well, some otherwise.
22. I am coming to terms with what God has put in my past. I’ve been dealing with depression since I was five with many ups and downs in the intervening years, some bigger than others. God is teaching me that sometimes it is not for me to know why He does what He does and to simply trust that He knows more about what He’s doing than I do – that what He does has a reason, even if I may never find out what it was/is. This is not an easy process, but God makes no mistakes and has never let me down, even during the times when I thought He did. I’m happy to say I’ve come a long way from where I was ten/eleven/twelve years ago, but there’s still a long way to go.
23. I have a very sarcastic sense of humor, and it usually makes other people laugh, too, even if I didn’t mean it as a joke. I take being called a smart alek as a compliment. Call me immature if you want.
24. I won’t be updating this blog as often as I should. So sue me.
25. I don’t laugh hard very often, but I think there are few feelings that top laughing really really hard. So hard your abs hurt and you start crying. That’s the best laugh.
Things you have done during your lifetime:
( ) Gone on a blind date
(X ) Skipped school
(X) Watched someone die
(X) Been to Canada
( ) Been to Mexico
(X) Been to Florida
( ) Been to Hawaii
(X) Been on a plane
( ) Been on a helicopter
(X) Been lost
( ) Gone to Washington, D.C.
( ) Swam in the ocean
(X) Cried yourself to sleep
(X) Played cops and robbers
( ) Recently colored with crayons
( ) Sang karaoke
(X) Paid for a meal with coins only
( ) Been to the top of the St. Louis Arch
(X) Done something you told yourself you wouldn’t
( ) Made prank phone calls
( ) Been down Bourbon Street in New Orleans
(X) Laughed until some kind of beverage came out of your nose & elsewhere
(X) Caught a snowflake on your tongue
( ) Danced in the rain-naked
(X) Written a letter to Santa Claus
( ) Been kissed under the mistletoe
( ) Watched the sunrise with someone
(X) Blown bubbles
(X) Gone ice skating
(X) Gone to the movies
( ) Been deep sea fishing
( ) Driven across the United States
(X) Been in a hot air balloon
( ) Been sky diving
( ) Gone snowmobiling
( ) Lived in more than one country
(As soon as I find someone to do this with) Lay down outside at night and admired the stars while listening to the crickets
(X) Seen a falling star and made a wish
( ) Enjoyed the beauty of Old Faithful Geyser
( ) Seen the Statue of Liberty
( ) Gone to the top of Seattle Space Needle
( ) Been on a cruise
(X) Traveled by train
( ) Traveled by motorcycle
(X) Been horseback riding
( ) Ridden on a San Francisco CABLE CAR
(X) Been to Disney World
(X) Truly believe in the power of prayer
( ) Been in a rain forest
() Seen whales in the ocean
(X) Been to Niagara Falls
(X) Ridden on an elephant
( ) Swam with dolphins
( ) Been to the Olympics
( ) Walked on the Great Wall of China
( ) Saw and heard a glacier calf
( ) Been spinnaker flying
( ) Been water-skiing
( ) Been snow-skiing
( ) Been to Westminster Abbey
( ) Been to the Louvre
( ) Swam in the Mediterranean
( ) Been to a Major League Baseball game
( ) Been to a National Football League game